Image Map

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"You're Awesome!" {half marathon training}

Hm.  So where do I begin with this post?  I feel like I am just bad at training.  I am finding it really hard to stick to a training plan right now, and I'm disappointed in myself.

However, as the title of this post suggests, I was actually running recently, and a guy who was running by my gave me a thumbs-up and said, "You're awesome!"

I didn't think it was that big of a deal until I realized that it made me feel a little bit better about the fact that I was running an 11:30 mile, and I was tired, and I just wanted to stop.  It's awesome when you have anyone cheering you on or even just giving you "the nod".

Over the weekend, I did two days of running inside and doing HIIT and it worked me over.  My legs were good and sore, and I could really tell the difference between doing just a run and doing the HIIT.  I think I needed to feel a little extra "ouch" there to get my leg muscles working and feeling it again.  The last few runs I had outside in September, I was not feeling any residuals the next day, and to me that is the mark of having pushed myself a little extra on that workout, so I'm excited to integrate some new stuff into the mix.

Another huge issue for me has been my shoes.  They are old and they suck.  No way around that.  So for my birthday Bryan got me new running shoes.  I NEVER thought I would be the person who would ask for running shoes as a gift, but here we are.  

So that's where I'm at, and I'm slow, but I'm happy that I'm realizing what I need to adjust and where to make changes.  For me, upping my overall cardio tolerance has been my biggest challenge so far, so I think that will continue for a while.

3 comments:

  1. You ARE awesome! I want to see your new shoes. Ready for some yummy 'za tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. new running shoes are huge!!! and it will be really good for you to incorporate things like HIIT and other exercises like that along with the running so you work all the muscles in your body. your running will benefit from it, plus it will help so you don't get injured

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoes are everything! I used to not want to spend a lot on them, but they are worth the extra money! Running is such a mental game. Sometimes I run an 11:30 mile. I think my best ever has been a 10 minute, and that only happened a few times. That's so cool that a stranger gave you a thumbs up! How did he know you needed it?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I will always reply as long as you are not a no-reply blogger :)