Image Map

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

And after grad school, we read.

That is my not-so-super-clever take on, "And on Wednesdays, we wear pink."  So as I mentioned, I kind of "quit reading" during grad school.  Pants on, people.  It was more of a hiatus...I guess.  But then it lasted until December or so.

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Ok, so I love conspiracy theory/mystery/religious intrigue/government conspiracy-type books.  I have read almost all of Brown's other books-Angels and Demons, The Da Vinci Code, and Deception Point.  I think I started the other one, Digital Fortress, at some point, but never finished it.  Anywho, this one centers around the Masons, Washington D.C., questions about our founding fathers, the power of thought, and spirituality.  It kept me thoroughly engrossed like all of the other ones have, and if you're into this genre, it's great.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
When I started this book, and maybe through the first part of it, I really hated it.  I just didn't know if it was ever going to go anywhere, and there were time jumps, and a large cast of characters woven in together.  By the end of it, I could honestly say it was a wonderful read.  The book centers around a circus that pops up overnight around the world and the people who visit it, control it, and create it.  Any more information and I'd do you the injustice of giving it all away.

Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
So St. Nick put this gem in my stocking in early December, and I read this while also reading The Night Circus, which made for an interesting contrast.  We all know this is already a movie (I haven't seen it yet) but this book was really fantastic.  I'm not kidding when I say that maybe 20 pages in, I had already teared up a little because Pat's character is just so infuriatingly sad to me.

Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
This is a book I read last fall.  It is amazing.  I could probably go on and on about how frequently I cried while reading it, but I will just say that you should read it if you're willing to go on a seriously amazing spiritual journey.  The big theme is simply that God puts people in our lives unexpectedly and for good reason.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I will always reply as long as you are not a no-reply blogger :)