Image Map

Monday, April 22, 2013

The Weekender Vol. 2

Well our weekend is going into Monday since B has off today & well, we all know I'm transitioning right now to something new.  It is San Jacinto Day!  For all of you out there outside of Texas, here is a little snippet from Wikipedia for you:

"Measured by its results, San Jacinto was one of the decisive battles of the world. The freedom of Texas from Mexico won here led to annexation and to the Mexican-American War, resulting in the acquisition by the United States of the states of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Oklahoma. Almost one-third of the present area of the American Nation, nearly a million square miles of territory, changed sovereignty."  Wikipedia educates me again!

So basically, that is why he has off today-it's an official state holiday.  Also learned that on Wikipedia, my friends.  One day when we have kids in school here, I imagine I will need to read several books on TX history to learn about all of the things that you never heard a lick about in the Midwest.

Here's what else this weekend has brought us:


:: I spent a ton of time prepping for my big interview (that is probably going down as you read this)--reading up and doing my homework on the org, and reviewing my resume and cover letter that I had submitted, as well as the job posting itself.  Always best to be as prepared as possible--and I'm a type A prepper. 

:: Bought a bunch of really cute clothes for our niece's birthday next month.  Thanks for all the Hello Kitty merch, Dillard's!


:: I am hooked on getting myself one of these babies: 



via
One of my besties in Chicago who has run multiple half and full marathons recommended just going for the Garmin, and now I'm bound and determined to get my hands on one.  So basically, get the super cool job and then get awesome running Garmin Forerunner.

:: We watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and it was exactly what you think it was.

::  I drank a couple of big ol' Texas-sized glasses of brandy Friday night :)


:: I went for a run Saturday morning after all that brandy Friday night :) and I got my mile down to 10:46, which is great. 

::  After my run, we delivered a bag of food to the Houston Food Bank for their emergency drive for the explosion in West.  It was a long week to feel helpless last week, and I was really happy to help out, even if it was something so simple.  HFB is right near B's work, so I got a decent picture of the brewery and jazzed it up on Instagram:

brewing beer for texas 24/7


:: Mad Men was great this week, and I'm so glad Peggy dominated her Heinz pitch.  #YouGoGirl  Also, the Ryan Lochte show debuted on E!.  He isn't very bright, but he's nice to look at and the whole thing is hilarious!  #YouGoRyanLochte

::  We made some delicious recipes this weekend--chicken gyros with homemade tzatziki sauce made with Greek yogurt, and Bryan got the genius idea to make homemade crunchwraps like they have at Taco Bell.  I've actually never had one there, but he loves them, and so why not?  They were actually 100% awesome, and we made our own taco seasoning too.  Recipes to follow soon.

::  Oh, also killed it on my DIY project for above our bed.  Although now we are thinking it belongs over the couch.  Either way it looks great and I will share it when it's totally finished.  

Linking up this weekend with:

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a full weekend! Good luck at your job interview! And congrats on the DIY decor, I love it when projects turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! productive weekend for you guys too! Pumped about the DIY and I know your interview will go well! Let me know :)

    (also I know I said I'd email you about puppy tings. I haven't forgotten and I'll write it up verrrrry soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a garmin forerunner 110. it comes with the heart rate monitor which i've yet to use for about $150, you can get the garmin 10 (which is the exact same but no monitor) for around $130, it does come in different colors and smaller sizes compared to the 110 which is only black.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your interview goes/went well! I found your blog on the hop, I am a student at the University of Oklahoma, so I'm not too far from ya in Houston!

    Consider me your newest follower!

    Melanie
    http://tyler-and-melanie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I will always reply as long as you are not a no-reply blogger :)