Image Map

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Resolutions

Every new year, everyone makes a resolution.  We might not all share them with others, but at some point towards the end of one year, and the beginning of a new year, we think in our heads, "I will do ________ differently in the next year."  My two cents?  I say we all just focus on being happy instead.

Think about it like this--what would make you a happier person, a better person?  My answer to that question varies a bit, but probably involves going to church more frequently, losing a little weight, and having a more stable job.  I guess the good news for me is that those are lifestyle changes I can make, but that's easier said than done.  It seems like setting out with lofty goals never works--I'm not going to sit here and say I'll start hitting the gym 7 days a week, because that's a lie.  But I can say I'll make an effort to work out more with my husband, and make it to church at least once a month. Annd let's just say I make every effort to find a more stable job, and hope for the best on that one.

I can also say that I'd like to focus on the positive more.  I think it's easy to be bogged down by the crap we deal with every day.  Like, really easy.  But, it's important to focus on what's good too.  So to start, here are five brilliant things about my life right now:

1.  A great, supportive husband.  We had a lot of change in 2012 (live across the country from each other!, finish grad school!, start a new job!, get married!, adjust to a new place!) but it's all worth it.  I find more and more that he is my best friend, and no matter what, we have each other here.

2.  Two jobs.  Although my job now isn't permanent, we are lucky to have two people working when there are many unemployed and unable to find something semi-stable.

3.  Faith.  This is something I wish I thought more about, but I'm glad to be where I am here.

4.  Friends and family everywhere.  From Texas to Wisconsin to Illinois, to everywhere it seems, we have a lot of friends.  And I think that makes me really lucky.  I spent NYE texting/chatting with those who were out of town and toasting with those in town, and it was awesome.

5.  Healthy escapes from reality.  Oh you mean my Real Housewives of whatever obsessions?  Constantly spending time on Trulia looking at houses?  Pinning obsessively at times?  Teen Mom 2?  Yes, and I make no apologies.  It feels great to unwind and zone out at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I will always reply as long as you are not a no-reply blogger :)