Image Map

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Oh where, oh where have I been?!

Where do I begin with this?  I spent a week in Houston, not even a full week probably, before another serious family emergency came upon us.  My dad called me a couple Fridays ago to tell me that my mom had had a minor stroke and was probably going to have emergency brain surgery in the late afternoon.

.....shocked.  So, my husband and I left H-town that evening and drove through the night to Florida (not a great idea btw...exhausting) and were able to be in Florida by 6:30 am.  I'll spare all of the details, but my mom is doing great.  About 11 days since the stroke/brain surgery (which was caused by a  hemorrhaging melanoma tumor) and she is on her feet, slicing tomatoes for taco night, and enjoying the ocean breeze on the balcony.  And wow, are we grateful/blessed/overjoyed.  There will be some minor disabilities that could last, but for the most part she is really doing great.  We have had so many people praying for us, it's overwhelming.

I have been running here on the beach and front beach road, so that has really helped to alleviate the stress and anxiety of the situation.  I am even considering training for and running a half marathon in a few months!  And wow, did I used to think I hated running...seriously just ask anyone who has known me at all over the last 10 years.  Despite my perceived hatred, I love seeing the constant improvement and push I can give myself when I'm on the road.

Florida's weather up here is slightly cooler than the temps in Houston now (thanks a lot, ocean breeze), and the hubstigation (one of many nicknames) will fly back here Saturday morning to drive back with me on Sunday!  I feel relieved and ready to go home knowing my mom will soon be back in Wisconsin and on the mend there with her team of doctors who she has known longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I will always reply as long as you are not a no-reply blogger :)